Fraud cases require unique skills—namely seasoned lawyers with specific training. Our experience in fraud cases is deep and varied, with Katherine Heekin in good standing as a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) with the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, identified by The Wall Street Journal as the “premier financial sleuthing organization.” We dig hard, we dig deep, and we believe every dollar lost is one too many.
Given companies typically lose five percent of their gross revenues to fraud and abuse each year, and that one-fifth of fraud schemes involve losses greater than $1 million, having a skilled legal team to combat corruption in the workplace makes sense. Our firm regularly partners with forensic accountants and computer forensic experts to identify “smoking guns,” get to the root of a problem and then remedy it.
Representative matters include:
- Represented banks in accounting malpractice claim for $23 million against regional accounting firm arising from large-scale phantom cattle fraud. Case settled.
- Defended former officer of Fortune 500 Company against securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims arising out of alleged backdating of stock options. Case dismissed.
- Defended investment capital fund against claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty brought by entrepreneur. Brought counterclaims for breach of fiduciary duty, negligent misrepresentation, and fraudulent misrepresentation. Case settled.
- Defended stockbroker against ORICO, civil conspiracy, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and indemnity claims. Case dismissed.
- Represented family member in breach of fiduciary duty case against another family member responsible for managing family trust who allegedly misappropriated trust funds. Case settled.
- Represented homeowners in claims for fraud, breach of contract, and breach of the implied duty of good faith and fair dealing against seller. Arbitration resulted in award to client of money damages and attorney’s fees and costs.
- Defended individuals against state and federal RICO claims. Case dismissed.
- Represented printing company in claims for fraud and declaratory relief against title company arising out of a judgment lien against a former vendor. Case settled.